It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ouch. I guess nobody comes here anymore. Never mind. I probably won't get it.
Post edited August 14, 2012 by freelancewolf
freelancewolf: Ouch. I guess nobody comes here anymore. Never mind. I probably won't get it.
It's not that "nobody comes here anymore"; it's not really a game with much to discuss honestly. As far as purchasing the pack goes, you honestly probably don't need to purchase the GoG pack unless you have nostalgia for the older games. From what I remember of playing the remake, it's mostly a graphics (albeit cartoony) upgrade and I feel like it made some aspects of the game easier.
The 2004 remake has a lot of dumbed down for children feel compared to the gritty original.

I have both, and whenever I play either I miss aspects of the other. If you like the 2004 version, but wish it was grittier and harder, and don't mind the primitive graphics than pick up the Gog pack.

Pirates! Gold is a much more faithful remake of the original Pirates from what I've played of it so far, so there might be not that much reason to go all the way back to the original. (I owned the original as a kid and got the 2004 remake when it came out, but I've only bought the Gog version with Gold! yesterday)
I bought them all when they came out in stores. I enjoy the 2004 game just as much as the old ones. In the older ones you don't have to do any dancing. Gold is the same game as the first just better graphics. I bought this for memories sake, plus if my 2004 disc gives out I could play Gold a while,...might play it some anyway. One of my all time fav's.
If you ever want to enjoy taking a town via land battle, play the old version.
freelancewolf: Ouch. I guess nobody comes here anymore. Never mind. I probably won't get it.
Port Royale 1 is a nice alternative as you can go pirating straight away... as far as I am concerned it was a lovely unofficial sequel to Pirates! Gold. Handling ten ships at once in a battle was fun - too bad they mucked up the ship combat stuff in part two...
Pirates!Gold Plus (1993)
My very-very vague memory missing from the 2004 Firaxis re-make:

1- Named scoundrels you come across on the sea's that player can defeat in ship battle. Upon defeat the scoundrel can be held for ransom or released if they give some information. The scoundrel is released for ransom at the next, usually spanish, port when you speak to the governor. If you turn down the offer of release and keep him, next governor visit, the ransom is usually larger. If released they'll show up again in game for a repeat battle. A nifty way of building up your fleet because the scoundrels usually have some nice war ships. Also a way to shorten your career because those guys aren't push-overs in gunnery or sword play. Does not exist in the 2004 Firaxis version.

2- The Silver Train. An excellent way to increase your gold. These are land battles. Subject silver train location is listed in the tavern rumor mills, governors daughters and any other ship you defeat in battle. Silver Train does not exist in the 2004 Firaxis version.

3- When sailing close to a city, not the little villages or settlements, you have the option of firing on the fort. During ship to shore battles, if you have 3 ships in your fleet, you can maneuver and fire with all 3 ships one at a time. If you defeat the fort and sail in you have 3 types of scenarios: The town guard flee's leaving you to the town's treasures- you can change the towns country at this time if the population and guard were significantly weakend and your forces are still numerous; The town guard are still peed-off and survivors from the ship to shore barage are of significant enough numbers that you will either have a land battle or fight the town guard captain in a sword dual- if you prevail the land battle or sword dual if the population and guard were significantly weakend and your forces are still numerous. In the Firaxis 2004 you can enter a land battle with a city if you march on it from land.

4- Navigation with the sunlabe(?). Does not exist in the 2004 Firaxis version.
juvat: Pirates!Gold Plus (1993)
My very-very vague memory missing from the 2004 Firaxis re-make:

1- Named scoundrels you come across on the sea's that player can defeat in ship battle. Upon defeat the scoundrel can be held for ransom or released if they give some information. The scoundrel is released for ransom at the next, usually spanish, port when you speak to the governor. If you turn down the offer of release and keep him, next governor visit, the ransom is usually larger. If released they'll show up again in game for a repeat battle. A nifty way of building up your fleet because the scoundrels usually have some nice war ships. Also a way to shorten your career because those guys aren't push-overs in gunnery or sword play. Does not exist in the 2004 Firaxis version.

2- The Silver Train. An excellent way to increase your gold. These are land battles. Subject silver train location is listed in the tavern rumor mills, governors daughters and any other ship you defeat in battle. Silver Train does not exist in the 2004 Firaxis version.

3- When sailing close to a city, not the little villages or settlements, you have the option of firing on the fort. During ship to shore battles, if you have 3 ships in your fleet, you can maneuver and fire with all 3 ships one at a time. If you defeat the fort and sail in you have 3 types of scenarios: The town guard flee's leaving you to the town's treasures- you can change the towns country at this time if the population and guard were significantly weakend and your forces are still numerous; The town guard are still peed-off and survivors from the ship to shore barage are of significant enough numbers that you will either have a land battle or fight the town guard captain in a sword dual- if you prevail the land battle or sword dual if the population and guard were significantly weakend and your forces are still numerous. In the Firaxis 2004 you can enter a land battle with a city if you march on it from land.

4- Navigation with the sunlabe(?). Does not exist in the 2004 Firaxis version.
1. Named pirates exist in the 2004 version but with substantial differences. In the 2004 remake they roam with an AI and accumulate their own wealth which you take when you defeat them. Incidentally you can game the system this way by avoiding named pirates until late game when they have a ton of wealth. Unlike the gold or original versions you can't do anything with them once they are defeated. You get credit for it and they're out of the game.

4. Sun sighting was only available in the original; even the gold version took it out as they decided it was a tedious waste of time. I'm not too attached.
I had played the original and Gold versions when I was younger.

I bought the 2004 remake last week from Steam.

IMO, the 2004 version is so much better than the older two versions.
ktchong: I had played the original and Gold versions when I was younger.

I bought the 2004 remake last week from Steam.

IMO, the 2004 version is so much better than the older two versions.
I disagree. The 1993 has always been the best. Sure it doesn´t have the fancy graphics of the 2004 version but at least you didn´t have to do those horrendous dancing sequences. That ruined the game for me. Also land combat to plunder a city took a ridiculous amount longer than the old version. Sometimes simpler is just better.
The 1993 version is the worst in the history. I've spent a lot of time playing original Pirates! when I was a kid and got a lot of good memories. However if you've never played the old version, there is probably no point to try it now. Don't get me wrong, it was better than 2004 version, more mysterious, etc., but it's quite old today. You may dislike it because of it's age, so keep up with 2004 version, but respect the 1987 one, because it was one of the best games in history and maybe even best video game sandbox till first GTA.
Post edited December 05, 2013 by loon
OK!
Atlantico: OK!
You do realize this post was made over a year ago, right? Why would you reply just to say "OK?" That doesn't contribute anything to this discussion.

I actually already have Gold Plus if you wanted to know.
Post edited November 12, 2014 by freelancewolf
Atlantico: OK!
freelancewolf: You do realize this post was made over a year ago, right? Why would you reply just to say "OK?" That doesn't contribute anything to this discussion.

I actually already have Gold Plus if you wanted to know.
Yes, can read, but your post was just so funny it deserved attention.

..and see, now you've let us know all about how this riveting story ended! My post was not in vain!! :D

edit: almost all original-posts in this particular forum are at least a year old. When I posted in this thread, it was on the first page and pretty high up too and it will continue to be for a year to come not doubt!!
Post edited November 12, 2014 by Atlantico
Atlantico: When I posted in this thread, it was on the first page and pretty high up too and it will continue to be for a year to come not doubt!!
OK!