It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Good day to all of you;

I have recently upgraded my Mac to the new operating system (OS X 10.9 Mavericks), and at the same time I downloaded Tochlight for the Mac so that I do not have to keep switching to my work computer to play Torchlight :o) Unfortunately I cannot get Torchlight to function on my Mac for some reason.

I have included the relevant portion of the error report below. Any suggestions or hints for how to get this game to work under OS X Mavericks will be greatly appreciated!

Have a fabulous day everyone!

Shadallark

EDIT: Forgot the error report.

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000038

VM Regions Near 0x38:
--> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Applications/games/Torchlight.app/Contents/MacOS/TorchlightMac
__TEXT 0000000000001000-000000000105f000 [ 16.4M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/games/Torchlight.app/Contents/MacOS/TorchlightMac

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 libsystem_c.dylib 0x99829403 flockfile + 18
1 libsystem_c.dylib 0x9986ef23 fwrite + 42
2 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x00a5fa26 CDynamicPropertyFile::saveSettings(std::basic_string<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t>, std::allocator<wchar_t> > const&, bool) + 288
3 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x00a5feaf CDynamicPropertyFile::SaveSettings(std::basic_string<wchar_t, std::char_traits<wchar_t>, std::allocator<wchar_t> > const&) + 33
4 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x008c6da5 CGame::CGame(std::string, CSettings*, bool) + 825
5 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x00a82f1d main + 653
6 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x008c1882 _start + 216
7 com.runicgames.TorchlightMac 0x008c17a9 start + 41
Post edited October 28, 2013 by Shadallark
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
You've forgotten to include the error report ;-)

Anyway, you can always try the following, from the "Common troubleshooting steps":

- Download and install the latest updates for your Mac:
System Preferences -> Software Update -> Check Now.

- Make sure that Accessibility options are enabled (the installer would have prompted you to do so, but please check it):
System Preferences -> Accessibility -> [check] Enable access for assistive devices.

- Copy the game from the DMG file to the Applications folder again - in case it got corrupted. If that doesn't help, check if the game works when you launch it directly from the DMG file (just double-click instead of dragging the game to the Applications folder).

- Finally, create a new user account, restart your Mac and log onto that new account. Now, try installing and playing the game. This will allow you to launch the game without most third-party applications that may have caused issues.
To create a new account, go to System Preferences - Users & Groups.
Post edited October 28, 2013 by DeMignon
Thanks for the advice DeMignon;

I have:
* confirmed that my computer is completely up to date (Software Update);
* confirmed that the file does not run from inside the dmg file;
* adjusted my security settings down so that it will "Allow apps downloaded from: Anywhere";
* still does not run from inside the dmg file

When I get home tonight I will redownload the files using the Good Old Games downloader and give it a try again.

Thanks for your assistance.

Shadallark
Good day to all of you;

Well I may have found part of the problem. According to the Runic support site
(I cannot post links or I would have included it here)
the problem is because I am using a case sensitive hard drive. The instructions at the site seem to indicate that I need to have a case insensitive drive if I want to get the game to function.

Sigh, guess I will have to keep playing this on Windows for now.

If anyone finds a solution to this problem that does not require me to create a case insensitive partition on my hard drive please let me know.

Have a great day everyone!

Shadallark

EDIT: I am now able to include urls, so here is the link to the Runic support article about running Torchlight on Case Sensitive drives:
Runic Support Article.
Post edited November 16, 2013 by Shadallark
This kind of sucks :-/

Hmm, according to the crash log, the problem appears to be connected to writing settings.
Settings are written in the settings.txt.
If Runic is right and the cause is the case sensitive file system, then you might have a chance by renaming the file or the path.

Try different file names like Settings.txt / settings.txt / SETTINGS.txt / Settings.TXT / settings.TXT / SETTINGS.TXT

There's also a chance, that the program code uses several different names (case wise), which doesn't matter in a case-insensitive environment. What you can do is, providing all these files in one folder at the same time, as they are all different in a case-sensitive file system. The problem now is to keep them all consistent, because the game might use one of them to write the settings (just check the file's time stamp of last changes) and another one to read them. Give it a try, maybe you come up with a combination that works.

If the case-sensitive issue also affects the folder names, you're even more screwed. Of course you can duplicate these too, but I don't know if this is really worth the effort and easier than providing a new partition.

Alternatively, you can try installing the game on an USB-stick with a case-insensitive file system.
Case sensitivity has been a problem with mods from the first day the Mac port was released and it hasn't been fixed to this day. I recommend playing the Windows version in Wine, the performance is about the same and you get full mod support. I use Wineskin to create standalone apps:
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com
As your Wine version pick 1.6
Post edited November 03, 2013 by HiPhish
Hello again everyone;

Does anyone have Torchlight from Good Old Games running on a Mac? I am trying to figure out where it is savings its information so that I can play around with symbolic links from there to a non-case sensitive location.

According to the help I read at the Runic games site it should be using ~/Library/Application Support/Runic Games; but when I look for that folder it is not showing up in my ~/Library/Application Support/ folder (nor anywhere else according to Easy Find). I am wondering if this version of the game saves the information somewhere else.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide!

Shadallark
Sorry, can't check it first hand.
But the folder is probably created by the game and not during installation. Since you haven't got it running yet, the folder is still missing. Instead of moving the folder to the case-insensitive drive, just create it there.
Shadallark: ...
For crying out loud, just use Wineskin, it's in all honesty easier and faster than trying to get this broken Mac version running. Go to their website:
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php
Download Wineskin Winery, then launch it, download a Wine engine (1.6 works well), click "create a new wrapper", give it a name of your choice (like Torchlight), wait until it's done and then click "Show wrapper in Finder".

Then double-click the wrapper as if it were a regular app, when the Wineskin window opens choose "Install Windows Software", navigate to your GoG installer, install and it like any Windows application. Once the installer is done select "Quit", then Wineskin will do some cleanup and it will be done. From now on when you want to play it just double-click your Torchlight.app and you have your own custom-made working Mac version.

Wineskin is a great piece of software and it is even used by GoG for some of the "Mac versions" games, which are just the Windows version wrapped up. Games like System Shock 2, The Witcher or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
Shadallark: ...
HiPhish: For crying out loud, just use Wineskin, it's in all honesty easier and faster than trying to get this broken Mac version running. Go to their website:
http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php
Download Wineskin Winery, then launch it, download a Wine engine (1.6 works well), click "create a new wrapper", give it a name of your choice (like Torchlight), wait until it's done and then click "Show wrapper in Finder".

Then double-click the wrapper as if it were a regular app, when the Wineskin window opens choose "Install Windows Software", navigate to your GoG installer, install and it like any Windows application. Once the installer is done select "Quit", then Wineskin will do some cleanup and it will be done. From now on when you want to play it just double-click your Torchlight.app and you have your own custom-made working Mac version.

Wineskin is a great piece of software and it is even used by GoG for some of the "Mac versions" games, which are just the Windows version wrapped up. Games like System Shock 2, The Witcher or Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.
I tend to agree, using wineskin with the windows version of the game is a good way to get around a bad mac port, you can get surprisingly good performance out of wine ported games, I actually port games for portingteam.com where you can find lots of premade wrappers for your favorite windows games
HiPhish: For crying out loud, just use Wineskin, it's in all honesty easier and faster than trying to get this broken Mac version running. ...
DulestDagger: I tend to agree, using wineskin with the windows version of the game is a good way to get around a bad mac port, you can get surprisingly good performance out of wine ported games, I actually port games for portingteam.com where you can find lots of premade wrappers for your favorite windows games
Thank you to both of you for your advice. As much as it does not make sense to me to port a Windows version of a game when I have the Mac version I decided I would give it a try. Unfortunately what I have found, and what many other users of Wineskin have found, is that if you are generating a new Wrapper under OS X 10.9 Mavericks it will not work.

EDIT: Upon further examination I found that rebooting my computer a few times causes the wrappers to start functioning. Thanks you to everyone at the Wineskin forums who posted about rebooting seems to fix issues with the wrappers.

Once again, thank you for your assistance everyone!

Shadallark

P.S. I am not sure if the Wineskin suggestion should be marked as a solution to this issue as it does not allow a user to get the Mac version of the game running on their Mac computer. On the other hand this does allow them to get the game running on their Mac.
Post edited November 16, 2013 by Shadallark
DulestDagger: I tend to agree, using wineskin with the windows version of the game is a good way to get around a bad mac port, you can get surprisingly good performance out of wine ported games, I actually port games for portingteam.com where you can find lots of premade wrappers for your favorite windows games
Shadallark: Thank you to both of you for your advice. As much as it does not make sense to me to port a Windows version of a game when I have the Mac version I decided I would give it a try. Unfortunately what I have found, and what many other users of Wineskin have found, is that if you are generating a new Wrapper under OS X 10.9 Mavericks it will not work.

EDIT: Upon further examination I found that rebooting my computer a few times causes the wrappers to start functioning. Thanks you to everyone at the Wineskin forums who posted about rebooting seems to fix issues with the wrappers.

Once again, thank you for your assistance everyone!

Shadallark

P.S. I am not sure if the Wineskin suggestion should be marked as a solution to this issue as it does not allow a user to get the Mac version of the game running on their Mac computer. On the other hand this does allow them to get the game running on their Mac.
I was able to create a wrapper and run the game on 10.9 Mavericks, cleaned it out and compressing it right now. I'll upload it to dropbox and post the public link here if you'd like

Here's the wrapper, sans game files: [url=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88167811/Torchlight.app.7z[/url]
Just copy into browser, link does not appear to be working.
Post edited November 16, 2013 by DulestDagger
Shadallark:
DulestDagger: Just copy into browser, link does not appear to be working.
Working link.

You need a bit more rep to post proper URLs.
DulestDagger: Just copy into browser, link does not appear to be working.
Gydion: Working link.

You need a bit more rep to post proper URLs.
Hey thanks a lot